10.03.2012

A Culture I Love

THANKS MELISSA FOR THIS SUGGESTION!

A culture I love... I really had to think on this, and thank you so much for the suggestion.
I used to really love the district of Orlando I lived in for one important reason. Where I went to High School, the demographics showed 76 home languages. This meant of the thousands of kids in my school... there were people representing more than 76 cultures... not to mention the many different Hispanic variations, the many american variations... even the different regions that speak Creole.
When I moved to Tennessee, I felt like there was no culture here.Then I moved to Florida for a year... and desperately missed the Southern Hospitality... the sitting on the front porch... the help that was always offered. I missed swinging by Christy and Al's house without having to call ahead of time... I missed the slow pace. I missed seeing Lexie's little dance competitions... I missed going out and seeing 10 people I knew. I missed hopping in the car just to take a little ride. If you would have asked me this question before I experienced this... I may have said Italy, where physical touch is the most common love language (By the way "Love Languages" is a must read). Or maybe I would have said San Fran, where love is accepted in any combo... or Tokyo, where the style is outrageous...  But now that I have lived away from here... now that my world is falling into place... the culture I love the most is right here in East Tennessee. People are calm. People care deeply about you. People take their time, and notice the little things. People are interested in heading in other directions... but at the same time, remember home. Friends are family... and are always treated as such. Debates happen, and disagreements are talked about... but it won't affect a friendship. It's a place I'd want to raise children... but still expose them to outside cultures... but really, where I would want them to learn about loving people... and where I would want them to learn about social interaction... is right here...

1 comment:

  1. It's an remarkable post for all the online viewers; they will obtain advantage from it I am sure.

    ReplyDelete