2.01.2009

Mrs. Camarata

OK... So I mentioned last week, that I found an old teacher of mine... WELL... I was thinking about the CRAZY occurrence, and realized WHY I had been making an effort to find her... WHY she had such a big place in my heart.

I was an advanced student in 4th grade at Passport Charter in Orlando. I was in a mixed class of 4th and 5th grade students. I worked out of all of the 5th grade books, and Mrs. Camarata (at the time Miss Reay) was the "5th grade teacher". Well in our down time, Mrs. Camarata would french braid my hair on daily basis.

She mentioned this on the phone the other day, and when I thought enough about it, I have A LOT of memories of that year. We went to Islands of Adventure on a field trip, and she was my chaperon. I was ABSOLUTELY terrified of roller coasters, and she managed to convince me to ride my first BIG roller coaster. NOW I have ridden COUNTLESS coasters.

Then, we went CAMPING as a field trip, and she slept in the bed in front of mine... I got terrified when the lights went out (quite humorous actually) and I started CRYING because I was next to the window. SOOOOOO.... She walked (carried) me outside across the (at the time GINORMOUS) camp to the boys cabin, where my dad was. HAHA...

As I thought about it more and more, there is SO much I remember about her as my teacher. Then I found out she would not be my teacher, and I was devistated. I did not want to go back to the school. She was supposed to move to Chicago (which she did) BUT not as soon as expected... so I was SO upset to go back, thinking she was gone and I was going to have some mega bitch as my 5th grade teacher (which I did)... and I walked up to the entrance of the school, and MRS. CAMARATA is the one holing the door open. I ran up to her SO excited and thought she was back for good, BUT she wasn't...

So anyway, I contacted her recently... I am so psyched... Thought I would share the thoughts I had today!

1 comment:

  1. Your memories warm my heart! I loved being your teacher and helping you in any way I could. I am incredibly proud of you. I'm still here Sami...

    ReplyDelete